Foods I Used to Love
Ah, the life before Crohn’s Disease. What a great life it was. Besides being so much more sociable, I was able to eat whatever I wanted and whenever I wanted. I don’t brag much, but I would not gain weight, even if I ate tons and tons of calories. Here is a explanation of the food I miss. If I would eat these types of quantities of food now, I would get very sick. Oye to Crohn’s.
The Foods I Used to Love:
- Steak - Red meat is hard to digest even with an “iron stomach.” I would have a steak at least once a week.
- Red Sauce - Got to love this Italian treat. I used to eat regular plain pizza, spaghetti and meatballs. So so good. Today, I am in the bathroom for the night if I have lots of red sauce. The acid in the sauce is way too much for my colon…or lack there of.
- Seeded Anything - I love the crunch! I have to stay away from seeded bagels, rolls, and other food items now as I have read that the seeds do not digest well. They could make my small bowel very ulcerated.
- Salad - Oh my gosh! This is a food item that I strongly miss. I used to make my own salad, and have it a few times a week. I would also go to Salad Works and order a big salad on the weekends. I liked the healthy food option. Leafy greens do not digest well for me, and make me have a ton of urgency now.
- Ice Cream - My favorite snack! Although I have a few spoonful’s once or twice a month now, I used to have so much way back when. I loved milkshakes and sundaes. The milk does not agree too much with my stomach.
Could this list go on and on? Absolutely. I could think of hundreds of foods that I used to eat. It all comes down to self control and management. It took me a long time to train my mind. I had to train my mind to stay way from foods that I love. Think about it: It’s like being on a constant diet. I actually have to do a “cross-benefit analysis” when I come across these food items. I ask myself, how much am I going to suffer if I eat this food item?
Don’t worry, in another article I am going to explain about a few times when I did eat the above items! Being a Crohn’s patient for eleven years now, it took a long time to understand that bland food (not a lot of seasoning or sauces/gravy) was going to be part of my norm. Every day is a struggle for me when it comes to food. I always want what I cannot have.
What foods did you have to give up after you were diagnosed with IBD?
I know everyone's disease is different, but are there any diet tips anybody wants to share with me to make things easier? Thank you!
Have you entered our Be Kind to The Behind Giveaway?