Chicken Pesto Spinach Wraps
One thing I've learned living with Crohn's disease is that anything I can do ahead of time, anything I can prepare for while I am feeling okay, is going to be a lifesaver when I'm not feeling well, or without energy. This is especially true for food preparation.
Meal prep for days when I'm low on energy
I really enjoy eating healthy, home-cooked meals, but rarely during the week do I have the energy to make these along with work and other responsibilities. For me, the way around this conundrum is to do meal prep on a weekend morning while I blast my favorite music or podcast. This is a delicious recipe, and honestly, I feel like it tastes even better when I bake the wraps frozen!
My favorite hack is to double the recipe below and to freeze them in meal-size portions (3-4 wraps each) in ziplock bags. Then, at mealtime, I just grab the bag out of the freezer, spray a cookie sheet with PAM, and bake for 8 minutes. Viola! Home-cooked meals without any thought required! Yum Yum!
Serves 5 people at 3 wraps per serving
Chicken pesto spinach wrap ingredients
- 1 package of Egg Roll Wrappers (qt 15)
- 1 cup pesto
- 1 cup of shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup of shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ package of spinach
- Pam Spray
Instructions to make the wraps:
- Begin by dicing chicken breasts.
- Next, spray PAM or cooking spray on a medium sized skillet, and cook chicken until it's no longer pink.
- In a medium bowl, mix Cheddar Cheese and Colby Jack Cheese together.
- Take a package of egg roll wrappers, and lay them out individually on a clean surface. Note: You can do this one at a time, or in small batches if you don’t have enough space for all wrappers at once.
- To prepare wraps, spread 1-1.5 teaspoons of pesto on a diagonal across the wrapper, and sprinkle a small handful of cheese mixture over the pesto. Add in 5-7 pieces of diced cooked chicken, top with 3-4 pieces of spinach, and fold according to package directions, using a little bit of water to seal the edges of the wrappers as you go.
- Bake wraps on a cookie sheet at 425 degrees for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through to ensure wraps brown on both sides.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Meal Prep Note: Wraps can also be prepared and frozen in a gallon size Ziploc bag or airtight container. Wraps can then be cooked one serving at a time to last longer.
Per Serving (3 wraps)
- calories: 534
- cholesterol: 78mg
- dietary fiber: 2.6g
- potassium: 361mg
- protein: 30.5g
- saturated fat: 8g
- sodium: 869mg
- total fat: 19.5g
Disclaimer: InflammatoryBowelDisease.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Will you take our In America survey to help others understand the true impact of Crohn's and UC?