Chicken Pesto Spinach Wraps
One thing I've learned living with Crohn's disease is that anything I can do ahead of time, anything I can prepare for while I am feeling okay, is going to be a lifesaver when I'm not feeling well, or without energy. This is especially true for food preparation.
Meal prep for days when I'm low on energy
I really enjoy eating healthy, home-cooked meals, but rarely during the week do I have the energy to make these along with work and other responsibilities. For me, the way around this conundrum is to do meal prep on a weekend morning while I blast my favorite music or podcast. This is a delicious recipe, and honestly, I feel like it tastes even better when I bake the wraps frozen!
My favorite hack is to double the recipe below and to freeze them in meal-size portions (3-4 wraps each) in ziplock bags. Then, at mealtime, I just grab the bag out of the freezer, spray a cookie sheet with PAM, and bake for 8 minutes. Viola! Home-cooked meals without any thought required! Yum Yum!
Serves 5 people at 3 wraps per serving
Chicken pesto spinach wrap ingredients
- 1 package of Egg Roll Wrappers (qt 15)
- 1 cup pesto
- 1 cup of shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup of shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ package of spinach
- Pam Spray
Instructions to make the wraps:
- Begin by dicing chicken breasts.
- Next, spray PAM or cooking spray on a medium sized skillet, and cook chicken until it's no longer pink.
- In a medium bowl, mix Cheddar Cheese and Colby Jack Cheese together.
- Take a package of egg roll wrappers, and lay them out individually on a clean surface. Note: You can do this one at a time, or in small batches if you don’t have enough space for all wrappers at once.
- To prepare wraps, spread 1-1.5 teaspoons of pesto on a diagonal across the wrapper, and sprinkle a small handful of cheese mixture over the pesto. Add in 5-7 pieces of diced cooked chicken, top with 3-4 pieces of spinach, and fold according to package directions, using a little bit of water to seal the edges of the wrappers as you go.
- Bake wraps on a cookie sheet at 425 degrees for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through to ensure wraps brown on both sides.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Meal Prep Note: Wraps can also be prepared and frozen in a gallon size Ziploc bag or airtight container. Wraps can then be cooked one serving at a time to last longer.
Per Serving (3 wraps)
- calories: 534
- cholesterol: 78mg
- dietary fiber: 2.6g
- potassium: 361mg
- protein: 30.5g
- saturated fat: 8g
- sodium: 869mg
- total fat: 19.5g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you visited our new and improved Forums page?