Chicken and Zucchini Bites
I want to introduce you to a great recipe that is perfect as an appetizer, snack, lunch, or buffet item at your next BBQ.
As Crohn's and colitis patients, we may not always get the amount of veggies we want or need in our diet, but sneaking zucchini in these chicken bites adds essential nutrients while keeping the bites juicy and tasty. And, since the zucchini are grated and cooked, they are much easier to digest.
Feel free to pair these bites with your favorite condiment, or enjoy them plain, depending on what works for your own diet. Either way, you won't be disappointed!
Makes 20-25 bites
Chicken & zucchini bites ingredients
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 2 c. grated zucchini (leave peel on and squeeze out some of the liquid with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel)
- 2–3 green onions, sliced
- 3–4 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp cumin (optional)
Directions for chicken & zucchini bites
- In a large bowl, mix together chicken, zucchini, green onion, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin (if using). The mixture will be quite wet.
- Scoop mixture with a small scoop or heaped tablespoon and gently smooth with your hands. I can usually get around 20-24 bites. You may be able to get more or less, depending on how large you size them.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Drizzle a bit of olive or avocado oil onto a baking sheet lined with foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through. If desired, place under the broiler for an additional 2-3 minutes or until browned on top.
- carbohydrate: 5g
- cholesterol: 71mg
- dietary fiber: 2g
- fat: 1.2g
- potassium: 356mg
- protein: 29.9g
- saturated fat: 0g
- sodium: 665mg
- sugars: 2.3g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you visited our new and improved Forums page?