Easy Breakfast Casserole
This is one of my favorite recipes not only for breakfast but for dinner, as well. When my stomach is not feeling the best, I prefer to get a majority of my protein through eggs which are easier to digest.
Breakfast for dinner is also a great way to keep things light before going to bed so that our bodies can better digest the meal before laying down, making for a night of better sleep and a better morning.
Makes 12 servings
Ingredients for easy breakfast casserole
- 24 oz. frozen hash browns -about 8 cups
- 16 oz. cubed ham (or protein of choice—vegetarian version can sub for veggie of choice)
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk (I use coconut milk or almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cooking Spray or ghee (to line baking pan)
Instructions to make an easy breakfast casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the frozen potatoes, protein, cheese, and/or veggies to a large bowl. Toss to combine. Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray or covered with ghee.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, salt, and pepper (I use the same bowl from step 1).
- Pour the egg mixture over the hash brown mixture. Pat everything down with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, uncovered. The center should be set and the edges should be golden brown.
- Optional: Sprinkle the top with fresh parsley
- calories: 278
- cholesterol: 226mg
- dietary fiber: 0.9g
- potassium: 345mg
- protein: 18g
- saturated fat: 10.4g
- sodium: 871mg
- total fat: 17.4g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you visited our new and improved Forums page?