Easy Weekend Tacos
These easy weekend and easy on your stomach tacos will warm you up real quick. You'll wonder if you're on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula!
These make a great weeknight dinner when you just need something quick and simple. Traditional taco recipes call for ground beef, but this recipe swaps the red meat for any kind of meat alternate crumbles, or ground poultry, as many people with Chron’s disease avoid red meat.
The cinnamon adds a level of complexity to the flavor and is an anti-inflammatory. Standard taco toppings (raw lettuce, tomato, and onion) are swapped for avocados, which deliver some extra anti-inflammatory power. Traditional corn-based taco boats are swapped for white flour soft tortilla boats, which are easier to digest.
I used Monterey Jack cheese, but really any mild-flavored cheese can be used. I served this with a side of Mexican rice, but this could easily be substituted for plain white rice.
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients for easy tacos:
- 1 package meat alternative crumbles*
- 1 packet Taco Seasoning
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Soft flour tortilla boats
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 avocados, sliced
Notes:* Ground turkey or chicken may also be used.
Directions to make easy tacos:
- Cook meat alternative crumbles according to package directions.
- Add the Taco seasoning and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Wrap the soft tortilla boats in a wet paper towel and microwave for 15 seconds to warm.
- Fill each taco boat about half way with the taco filling; top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and sliced Avocado.
- calories: 503
- cholesterol: 25mg
- dietary fiber: 8.2g
- potassium: 513mg
- protein: 24.2g
- saturated fat: 9.8g
- sodium: 1465mg
- total fat: 34.4g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Does the change in weather impact your Crohn's or colitis?