Back in the '90s, the slogan for eggs was "The Incredible, Edible Egg" which went along with a catchy tune to describe how great they are. And, while younger Julie was unable to truly understand the benefits of the "incredible egg", adult Crohn's disease patient Julie can see how true that statement is, and I integrate them into my diet almost on a daily basis because of their high protein content that is gentle on my stomach.
And, the other benefit of eggs is that you can make them into many forms so that you do not tire of eating the same meal repeatedly. Scrambled, poached, hard-boiled, soft boiled, sunny-side-up, or as an omelet are all great ways to enjoy this 70-calorie delight, as is another favorite of mine...the frittata.
The beauty of the frittata is that you can incorporate whatever herbs, veggies, or cheese you want, and exclude anything you cannot tolerate. So, pick up a fork and dive into this aesthetically pleasing and delicious meal you can enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients for a garden frittata:
- 4 large organic eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chives, finely chopped (or 1 tsp. dried chives)
- 1/2 cup soft goat cheese (optional)
Directions to make a garden frittata:
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray large skillet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and salt, then add the chopped vegetables, chives, and goat cheese. Whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture into skillet and sprinkle remaining goat cheese on top.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- calories: 83
- cholesterol: 129mg
- dietary fiber: 0.4g
- potassium: 116mg
- protein: 6.5g
- saturated fat: 2.6g
- sodium: 281mg
- total fat: 5.6g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you entered our HidrateSpark Summer Kickoff Giveaway?