Super Simple Gnocchi and Avocado Bake (Low Residue)
In my next recipe, I want to introduce you to one of my favourite things: gnocchi.
If you don't know, gnocchi is potato dumplings, usually made from a mix of potato and flour. I love them because potato is one of my favourite things to eat when I'm flaring because it's so comforting and soothing on my gut.
I already often have mashed potatoes, so gnocchi is just something different to try. With the added bonus of it being prepped in just a few minutes, making it ideal for those low-spoon, low energy days.
It's low fat and low fibre, which are two musts when I'm not feeling well.
Tailoring to your own dietary needs
Those with culinary skills might want to make their own gnocchi from potato and flour. (You can make them with sweet potato too.) But I prefer to just use store-bought gnocchi. It's very easy to find gluten-free gnocchi, too. It simply involves boiling them in a pan of water for a few minutes, draining, and serving with a dressing, some cooked meat, or perhaps even just plain.
When you have a little more time or want to make more of a meal from gnocchi, you can bake it in the oven, which is what I'm going to share today.
In this case, I use super smooth passata. (You can use regular tinned tomatoes but those are more fibrous as the passata is more blended and is suitable for those on a low residue diet.) I also use a mashed avocado (for some healthy good fats), turmeric and paprika (for flavour, but also as turmeric is thought to be anti-inflammatory), a sprinkle of black pepper, and dairy-free cheese. You can use regular cheese but I find this a trigger, personally.
The result is a comforting, creamy, low residue dish that tastes great and is kind to my belly!
Ingredients for super simple gnocchi and avocado bake
- 250g of gnocchi (this is usually the size of store-bought gnocchi)
- 1 cup of smooth tomato passata
- 1 avocado mashed
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- A slice of lemon
- A handful of dairy-free grated cheese
Method for super simple gnocchi and avocado bake
- Boil gnocchi in pan for around 3 minutes; until boiled and gnocchi rises to the top and has softened.
- Drain the water and pour it out into an oven dish.
- Stir in the tomato passata and coat gnocchi well.
- Peel, slice and mash 1 avocado well and stir in with passata and gnocchi.
- Add turmeric and paprika, coating well.
- Sprinkle over the dairy-free grated cheese.
- Cook for 15 minutes, until cheese melts. (The gnocchi is already cooked.)
- Squeeze over a slice of lemon and serve.
- calories: 216
- carbohydrate: 26g
- cholesterol: 0mg
- dietary fiber: 4g
- fat: 11.6g
- potassium: 263mg
- protein: 3.7g
- saturated fat: 2.6g
- sodium: 73mg
- sugars: 1.2g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you visited our new and improved Forums page?