Simple Summer Salad
Another hot day? Need something refreshing? Try this wonderful salad served cold. The quinoa is a great substitution, which I find easier to digest. The herbs give it that "zing," which will have you coming back for more.
Makes 6 servings
Simple summer salad ingredients:
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 large cucumber
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs, such as thyme and oregano
- ½ tsp salt
Directions to make a simple summer salad:
- Combine the quinoa with 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan; cover. Bring to a full boil; reduce heat to medium-low to simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, peel, seed and dice the cucumber and cut the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Once the quinoa is cool, toss with the prepared cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil, fresh herbs, and salt, toss to combine.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Notes: May be prepared the night before. Variation – substitute the cherry tomatoes for half of an onion or bell pepper (diced).
- calories: 155
- cholesterol: 0mg
- dietary fiber: 2.9g
- potassium: 257mg
- protein: 4.5g
- saturated fat: 0.9g
- sodium: 197mg
- total fat: 6.6g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you completed the IBD in America survey? Answer poll for survey link.