Simple Summer Salad
Another hot day? Need something refreshing? Try this wonderful salad served cold. The quinoa is a great substitution, which I find easier to digest. The herbs give it that "zing," which will have you coming back for more.
Makes 6 servings
Simple summer salad ingredients:
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 large cucumber
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs, such as thyme and oregano
- ½ tsp salt
Directions to make a simple summer salad:
- Combine the quinoa with 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan; cover. Bring to a full boil; reduce heat to medium-low to simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, peel, seed and dice the cucumber and cut the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Once the quinoa is cool, toss with the prepared cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil, fresh herbs, and salt, toss to combine.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Notes: May be prepared the night before. Variation – substitute the cherry tomatoes for half of an onion or bell pepper (diced).
- calories: 155
- cholesterol: 0mg
- dietary fiber: 2.9g
- potassium: 257mg
- protein: 4.5g
- saturated fat: 0.9g
- sodium: 197mg
- total fat: 6.6g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
What is your comfort level disclosing your IBD to your employer?