Cheesy Sweet Potato Chicken Enchiladas
Last updated: June 2021
For a cheesy good time, try these sweet potato chicken enchiladas.
Notes: This recipe makes a lot of enchiladas – if needed use two casserole dishes. Suggested to serve with either sour cream or guacamole on the side. Any leftover shredded chicken can be frozen and saved for later use. Mashing the sweet potatoes helps break down the fibers and traditional corn tortillas are substituted for white flour tortillas for easier digestion; the cinnamon adds an anti-inflammatory boost. Mild green salsa is used in place of red enchilada sauce for those of us who are on low acid diets. Inspired by: Vegetarian Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas by Cookie and Kate (Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas - Cookie and Kate) and Uncle Julio’s Cheese and Onion Enchiladas (Menu - Uncle Julio's).
Serving size: 2 enchiladas
Ingredients for sweet potato chicken enchiladas:
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium-size onion, peeled and minced
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 16oz jar of mild salsa verde
- 6 slices orange colored American cheese
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 packages white flour tortillas, soft taco size
- Olive oil
Directions for sweet potato chicken enchiladas:
- Prepare the sweet potatoes: Preheat oven to 400F. Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and brush the flat sides with olive oil. Place cut side down on baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until they are fork-tender. At this point, remove from the oven and cool completely. Once the sweet potatoes have cooled, scoop out the flesh with either a spoon or clean hands, place into a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher (the mixture should be relatively smooth with a few chunks remaining). Discard the skins.
- Prepare the filling: To the bowl with the mashed sweet potatoes, add the minced garlic and onion, lime juice, spices, salt, and black pepper. Next, break up the slices of American cheese, one a time, using your hands, and add to the bowl with the filling. Mix well.
- Open the jar of salsa. Spread a few spoonfuls onto the bottom of a casserole dish, and add the rest of the jar to the bowl with the filling and mix to incorporate.
- Assembling the enchiladas: Place a few spoonfuls of the filling mixture onto a tortilla and press lightly so it lays flat. Add some of the shredded chicken (approximately one ounce) on top of the filling and then roll the enchilada. Place seam side down in the casserole dish. Once the enchiladas are assembled, sprinkle the pepper jack cheese over the top.
- Bake the enchiladas in the preheated 400F oven for about 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese has browned slightly. Once done, remove from the oven and let rest at room temperature for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
- calories: 383
- cholesterol: 101mg
- dietary fiber: 3.2g
- potassium: 60mg
- protein: 25.8g
- saturated fat: 8.1g
- sodium: 803mg
- total fat: 16g
Disclaimer: InflammatoryBowelDisease.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Join the conversation