Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Stuffed peppers are a great way to get a complete meal without the need for sides. The ground turkey provides lean protein, quinoa is a great whole grain that is also a great source of protein, and the peppers add a boost of Vitamin C that we could all use.
Another great thing about this recipe is that you can modify it for your food sensitivities. You can swap rice for quinoa, skip the cheese, or just make the "stuffing" and omit the peppers altogether if they are not friendly to your GI system. This is definitely a crowd-pleaser meal, and leftovers are just as tasty!
Ingredients for ground turkey stuffed peppers:
- 4 bell peppers, top cut off and seeds removed (keep tops for baking)
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 bag Boil-in-Bag quinoa, cooked according to package
- 1/2 can Organic Black Beans, rinsed
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- Shredded Mexican cheese (optional, just enough for topping)
Directions for ground turkey stuffed peppers:
- Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to a large skillet and cook ground turkey, drain excess liquid.
- In a medium-size sauce pan, add ground turkey, quinoa, beans, onion, tomato, salt, pepper, olive oil, and taco seasoning. Stir until vegetables are soft, about 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, set oven to Bake at 350F and wrap the bottom of peppers with aluminum foil so that they stand upright in a baking pan.
- Fill peppers with quinoa filling, top with cheese (if preferred), and place tops of peppers on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until peppers are soft.
Note: To reheat, bake on 350 F for 15 minutes or microwave for 2 minutes.
- calories: 522
- cholesterol: 84mg
- dietary fiber: 8.8g
- potassium: 1083mg
- protein: 35.3g
- saturated fat: 2.9g
- sodium: 411mg
- total fat: 19.3g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you visited our new and improved Forums page?