Zucchini Potato Pancakes
This is a twist on traditional zucchini pancakes, and is tailored to the dietary needs of those with Crohn’s disease. Peeling, seeding, and grating the zucchini make it easier to digest, and the overall amount is reduced by replacing some of the zucchini with white potatoes. As a bonus, the added garlic, rosemary, and black pepper help fight inflammation. These cakes can be served alone or as a side dish alongside poultry or fish.
These succulent pancakes are great for any Summer night. The spices included are known to help with IBD. This light-fare option is always great for a "pop-up" dinner with friends and family!
Serving size: 3 cakes
Ingredients for zucchini potato pancakes:
- 2 Zucchini
- 6 Russet Potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground rosemary
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ Olive Oil, for frying
Directions for zucchini potato pancakes:
- Rinse and peel the potatoes and grate into a bowl of cold water.
- Rinse and peel the zucchini; cut in half lengthwise. Use a serrated spoon to remove the seeds; grate into a large bowl.
- Drain the potatoes and add to the bowl with the zucchini.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add the beaten eggs, flour, cheese, garlic and spices, and salt to the bowl with the grated zucchini and potatoes, mix well.
- Heat olive oil on griddle or skillet until it shimmers but is not smoking.
- Drop the mixture by ¼ cup spoonfuls at a time onto the griddle or skillet, using the back of the measuring spoon to flatten and shape the cakes.
- Cook approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown on each side. Makes approximately 20 cakes.
- calories: 320
- cholesterol: 91mg
- dietary fiber: 5.4g
- potassium: 938mg
- protein: 12.1g
- saturated fat: 4.1g
- sodium: 540mg
- total fat: 13.2g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you visited our new and improved Forums page?