Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Hello! I am not sure I belong in this forum, since I have not been diagnosed yet. However, my doctor suspects of IBD and I feel that I need to share my story and ask for advice.

A year and a half ago, I was a healthy 18 year old, exercising and with a healthy diet. However, I slowly started feeling tired, out of energy and with some abdominal discomfort.

I ignored the situation, thinking that the food I was eating was responsible for these symptoms. Eventually, they got worse, to the point were I could not leave the house because of my abdominal pain. My bowel movements were really slow and I started having headaches and constant pain and bloating.

After a CT, a colonoscopy, fecal and blood tests, the doctors haven’t figured out what is going on. These exams were all one year ago, and I have tried 5 kinds of IBS medication ever since. It did not work. I have also excluded gluten, lactose and everything I could think of, but nothing helps.

I am repeating every exam soon, but I have almost no hope that doctors will figure this out. It would really help to know that there are people who remained undiagnosed for a long time, but eventually found a solution. I would like to feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you so much 🙂

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The InflammatoryBowelDisease.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Comments

• Julie Marie Palumbo moderator
    2 months ago

Thank you for sharing your journey and being here, Joana!

It is, unfortunately, common for patients to go undiagnosed for some time before getting a proper diagnosis, but hopefully your new GI will discover what is going on in your body and offer a proper treatment.

There IS light at the end of the tunnel, and a year from now this will just be a thing of the past and you will look back on it with some frustration, but gratitude that you eventually got everything figured out. It will all work 🙂

–Julie (Team Member)

• JoanaPt author
    2 months ago

It feels so comforting to read this… I feel like those words come from a personal experience, which makes them even more meaningful to me! Your confidence that this will all work out is so reassuring! I can’t wait to look back at this time and feel what you just described. Thank you for making me feel like it will all be ok 🙂

• thedancingcrohnie moderator
    3 months ago

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry you are going through this, as this is so frustrating when you aren’t feeling well and have zero answers.

I would suggest getting a second opinion. If things don’t seem to be moving forward and you aren’t getting answers, it may mean you need a fresh set of eyes to help.

Also have you also considered seeing a Naturopathic Medical Doctor in addition to a GI? I saw one and changed my life. I was so glad I did!

I hope this helps! Good luck, and yes there is light at the end of the tunnel. Promise.

Always dancing,
    Elizabeth (team member)

• JoanaPt author
    2 months ago

@thedancingcrohnie Thank you so much for your suggestions!
    It really feels frustrating to feel that life is moving ahead while I am stuck to the couch… I have actually changed to a different GI recently and he asked for some more exams! He seems really interested in my case and it looks like he is genuinelly concerned about me.
    I will also consider seing a Naturopathic Doctor, I had never thought of that! I’m glad it worked for you, I hope it can do the same for me!
    Thank you so much for your support!!

PS- sorry for any spelling mistakes, english is not my first language

• thedancingcrohnie moderator
    2 months ago

So happy you found a new GI. Keep us posted! And yes, look into seeing an NMD! Best decision I ever made.

And don’t worry! You write beautifully in english!

Always dancing,
    Elizabeth (team member)

• JoanaPt author
    3 months ago

Oh, thank you so much for your words @crazycreolemommy!
    I just changed to a different GI and he seems much more interested in my well being than the last one. I’m having the next appointment on this friday, after I have the dreaded colonoscopy. I will ask him about the supplements that could help! Thank you so much for your support, it really means a lot <3

• Brooke Abbott moderator
    3 months ago

Hi @joanapt,

I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time and it sounds like you are in the thick of it right now. I just conducted an interview with Dr. David Rubin of Univ. of Chicago Med, and he was saying how we as patients should expect to be well. And I agree with him. There are so many treatment and therapy options that, if started right away can help with reducing symptoms down to remission. There are also medical foods and nutritional supplements that can help with symptoms. There is definitely a light. I, personally, have been able to work with my doctor to find the right combination of therapy to help put me on the road to remission. You just have to keep pushing through and find your treatment plan. Stay hopeful and open to the possibilities! You’ll get there!
    -Brooke
    Team Member

• JoanaPt author
    2 months ago

Thank you for your advice! It feels so refreshing to hear those words… I am really glad that you managed to get your simptoms under control! This gives me hope that I will be able to do the same. Thank you so much for your kind words 🙂

• Poll