What is an Abscess
Written by: Sarah O'Brien and Emily Downward | Last Reviewed: January 2018.
- MedlinePlus. Abscess. Available at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001353.htm. Accessed 1/8/18.
- Richards RJ. Management of abdominal and pelvic abscess in Crohn's disease. World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2011;3:209-212.
- Complications of inflammatory bowel disease, Medscape. Available at https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1918545. Accessed 1/8/18.
- Ulcerative colitis, Johns Hopkins Medicine. Available at https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gastroenterology_hepatology/_pdfs/small_large_intestine/ulcerative_colitis.pdf. Accessed 1/8/18.
- Rieder F, Zimmermann EM, Remzi FH, Sandborn WJ. Crohn's disease complicated by strictures: A systematic review. Gut. 2013;62:1072-1084.
- Wilkins T, Jarvis K, Patel J. Diagnosis and management of Crohn's disease. Am Fam Physician. 2011;84:1365-1375.
- Abscess – Causes, NHS Choices. Available at http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Abscess/Pages/Causes.aspx. Accessed 1/8/18.
- What is computed tomography? US Food and Drug Administration. Available at http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandProcedures/MedicalImaging/MedicalX-Rays/ucm115318.htm. Accessed 1/8/18.
- CT enterography, Johns Hopkins Medicine. Available at http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/test_procedures/gastroenterology/ct_enterography_135,60/. Accessed 1/8/18.
- Percutaneous abscess drainage, RadiologyInfo.org. Available at http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=percabscessdrn. Accessed 1/8/18.
- Huang W, Tang Y, Nong L, Sun Y. Risk factors for postoperative intra-abdominal septic complications after surgery in Crohn's disease: A meta-analysis of observational studies. J Crohns Colitis. 2015;9:293-301.