Written by: Sarah O'Brien and Emily Downward | Last Reviewed: January 2018.
- The facts about inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America. Available at http://www.ccfa.org/assets/pdfs/updatedibdfactbook.pdf. Accessed 1/12/18.
- Wilkins T, Jarvis K, Patel J. Diagnosis and management of Crohn's disease. Am Fam Physician. 2011;84:1365-1375.
- Definition and facts about Crohn's disease, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease. Available at https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/crohns-disease/definition-facts. Accessed 1/12/18.
- What is an inflammation? PubMed Health, U.S. National Library of Medicine. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072482/. Accessed 1/12/18.
- Carrière J, Darfeuille-Michaud A, Nguyen HT. Infectious etiopathogenesis of Crohn's disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:12102-12117.
- Ruel J, Ruane D, Mehandru S, Gower-Rousseau C, Colombel JF. IBD across the age spectrum: is it the same disease? Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014;11:88-98.
- Ulcerative colitis, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease. Available at https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/ulcerative-colitis. Accessed 1/12/18.
- Lichtenstein GR, Hanauer SB, Sandborn WJ; Practice Parameters Committee of American College of Gastroenterology. Management of Crohn's disease in adults. Am J Gastroenterol. 2009;104:465-483.
- Diagnosis and managing IBD, Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America. Available at http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/resources/diagnosing-and-managing-ibd.html. Accessed 1/12/18.
- Hedrick TL, Friel CM. Colonic crohn disease. Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2013;26:84-89.
- Denoya P, Canedo J, Berho M, et al. Granulomas in Crohn's disease: Does progression through the bowel layers affect presentation or predict recurrence? Colorectal Dis. 2011;13:1142-1147.
- Freeman HJ. Natural history and long-term clinical course of Crohn's disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:31-36.
- Ulcerative colitis differential diagnosis, Medscape. Available at https://emedicine.staging.medscape.com/article/183084-differential. Accessed 1/12/18.
- Cheifetz AS, Cullen GJ. Patient education: Sulfasalazine and the 5-aminosalicylates (Beyond the Basics), UpToDate. Available at http://www.uptodate.com/contents/sulfasalazine-and-the-5-aminosalicylates-beyond-the-basics. Accessed 1/12/18.
- Types of medications for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America. Available at http://www.ccfa.org/resources/types-of-medications.html. Accessed 1/12/18.
- Complications of inflammatory bowel disease, Medscape. Available at https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1918545-overview#a2. Accessed 1/12/18.
- Richards RJ. Management of abdominal and pelvic abscess in Crohn's disease. World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2011;3:209-212.