Written by: Sarah O'Brien and Emily Downward | Last Reviewed: January 2018.
- Wilkins T, Jarvis K, Patel J. Diagnosis and management of Crohn's disease. Am Fam Physician. 2011;84:1365-1375.
- Fargo MV, Latimer KM. Evaluation and management of common anorectal conditions. Am Fam Physician. 2012;85:624-630.
- MedlinePlus. Bloody or tarry stools. Available at https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003130.htm. Accessed 1/16/18.
- Barnert J, Messmann H. Management of lower gastrointestinal tract bleeding. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2008;22:295-312.
- Zuccaro G. Epidemiology of lower gastrointestinal bleeding. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2008;22:225-232.
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America. Maintenance therapy. Available at http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/resources/maintenance-therapy.html. Accessed 1/16/18.
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America. The facts about inflammatory bowel disease. Available at http://www.ccfa.org/assets/pdfs/updatedibdfactbook.pdf. Accessed 1/16/18.
- Wilson ID. Hematemesis, melena, and hematochezia. In: Walker HK, Hall WD, Hurst JW, editors. Clinical Methods: The History, Physical, and Laboratory Examinations. 3rd edition. Boston: Butterworths; 1990. Chapter 85. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK411/
- Daperno M, Sostegni R, Rocca R. Lower gastrointestinal bleeding in Crohn's disease: How (un)common is it and how to tackle it? Dig Liver Dis. 2012;44:721-722.