Causes of Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Written by: Sarah O'Brien and Emily Downward | Last Reviewed: December 2017.
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America. The facts about inflammatory bowel disease. Available at: http://www.ccfa.org/assets/pdfs/updatedibdfactbook.pdf. Accessed 12/28/17.
- Loftus EV Jr. Clinical epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease: Incidence, prevalence, and environmental influences. Gastroenterology. 2004;126:1504-1517.
- Carrière J, Darfeuille-Michaud A, Nguyen HT. Infectious etiopathogenesis of Crohn’s disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:12102-12117.
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease. What I need to know about Crohn's disease. Available at https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/crohns-disease/symptoms-causes. Accessed 12/28/17.
- Ulcerative colitis, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Available at https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/ulcerative-colitis. Accessed 12/28/17.
- Baumgart DC, Carding SR. Inflammatory bowel disease: cause and immunobiology. Lancet. 2007 May;369(9573): 1627-1640. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(07)60750-8.
- Ruel J, Ruane D, Mehandru S, Gower-Rousseau C, Colombel JF. IBD across the age spectrum: is it the same disease? Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014;11:88-98.
- Stappenbeck TS, Rioux JD, Mizoguchi A, et al. Crohn disease: a current perspective on genetics, autophagy and immunity. Autophagy. 2011;7:355-374.
- Ulcerative colitis, UpToDate. Available at http://www.uptodate.com/contents/ulcerative-colitis-beyond-the-basics. Accessed 12/28/17.
- Liu JZ, Anderson CA. Genetic studies of Crohn's disease: Past, present and future. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2014;28:373-386.
- Crohn Disease, Genetics Home Reference. Availalble at http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/crohn-disease. Accessed 12/28/17.
- Lichtenstein GR, Hanauer SB, Sandborn WJ; Practice Parameters Committee of American College of Gastroenterology. Management of Crohn's disease in adults. Am J Gastroenterol. 2009;104:465-483.
- Ulcerative colitis, Genetics Home Reference. Available at https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/ulcerative-colitis. Accessed 12/28/17.