Written by: Sarah O'Brien and Emily Downward | Last Reviewed: January 2018.
- Targownik LE, Bernstein CN, Leslie WD. Inflammatory bowel disease and the risk of osteoporosis and fracture. Maturitas. 2013;76:315-319.
- Bernstein CN, Leslie WD, Leboff MS. AGA technical review on osteoporosis in gastrointestinal diseases. Gastroenterology. 2003;124:795-841.
- Krok KL, Lichtenstein GR. Nutrition in Crohn disease. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2003;19:148-153.
- Loftus EV Jr. Clinical epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease: Incidence, prevalence, and environmental influences. Gastroenterology. 2004;126:1504-1517.
- Khalili H, Ananthakrishnan AN, Konijeti GG, et al. Physical activity and risk of inflammatory bowel disease: prospective study from the Nurses' Health Study cohorts. BMJ. 2013;347:f6633.
- Medline Plus. Bone mineral density test. Accessed 6/26/15 at: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007197.htm
- Cosman F, de Beur SJ, LeBoff MS, et al. Clinician's guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int. 2014;25:2359-2381.
- Center JR, Bliuc D, Nguyen TV, Eisman JA. Risk of subsequent fracture after low-trauma fracture in men and women. JAMA. 2007;297:387-394.