Written by: Sarah O'Brien and Emily Downward | Last Reviewed: January 2018.
- The facts about inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America. Available at http://www.ccfa.org/assets/pdfs/updatedibdfactbook.pdf. Accessed 1/3/18.
- Ulcerative colitis, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Available at https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/ulcerative-colitis. Accessed 1/3/18.
- Ulcerative colitis, Mayo Clinic. Available at https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ulcerative-colitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20353326. Accessed 1/3/18.
- Hovde Ø, Moum BA. Epidemiology and clinical course of Crohn's disease: Results from observational studies. World J Gastroenterol. 2012;18:1723-1731.
- Ruel J, Ruane D, Mehandru S, Gower-Rousseau C, Colombel JF. IBD across the age spectrum: Is it the same disease? Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014;11:88-98.
- Loftus EV Jr. Clinical epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease: Incidence, prevalence, and environmental influences. Gastroenterology. 2004;126:1504-1517.
- Betteridge JD, Armbruster SP, Maydonovitch C, Veerappan GR. Inflammatory bowel disease prevalence by age, gender, race, and geographic location in the U.S. military health care population. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2013;19:1421-1417.
- Stappenbeck TS, Rioux JD, Mizoguchi A, et al. Crohn disease: A current perspective on genetics, autophagy and immunity. Autophagy. 2011;7:355-374.
- Nguyen GC, Torres EA, Regueiro M, et al. Inflammatory bowel disease characteristics among African Americans, Hispanics, and non-Hispanic Whites: Characterization of a large North American cohort. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:1012-1023.
- What is ulcerative colitis? Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America. Available at http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-ulcerative-colitis/. Accessed 1/3/18.
- Molodecky NA, Kaplan GG. Environmental Risk Factors for Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2010;6(5):339-346.
- Carrière J, Darfeuille-Michaud A, Nguyen HT. Infectious etiopathogenesis of Crohn’s disease. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20:12102-12117.
- Kappelman MD, Moore KR, Allen JK, Cook SF. Recent trends in the prevalence of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis in a commercially insured US population. Dig Dis Sci. 2013;58:519-525.