caret icon Back to all discussions

Newbie - help with diagnosis

Hi. After symptoms for a long time I started to get additional pain in bottom and blood in the toilet. I went to GP & did a stool sample test which result in blood content. Had a 2 week referral to a consultant who arranged a sigmoidoscopy 3 weeks ago. During the sigmoidoscopy there was inflammation found in my large bowel together with ulcers and inflammation in rectum and sigmoid. They took biopsies. They diagnosed me with Ulcerative Colitis and Proctitis and handed me a report. Following on the biopsy results have gone back to the original consultant who has written to say no abnormalities found and biopsies were ok. Im so confused. The scan unit told me I had UC, yet there is no mention of that from the consultant and he has discharged me back to my GP. I obviously still have the same symptoms but have no way forward. What would you do? Do you think hes looking at it as there is no cancer and therefore not his problem, or maybe he hasnt seen the report from the scan unit. I just dont know what to do, or who to speak to. I tried to call his secretary today but she is part time so i left a message. What would you do?

  1. I'm sorry to read about your troubles and lack of physician communication. You asked what I would do, so this is just one person's opinion--mine. If the official diagnosis is UC and proctitis, then you need to see a specialist. No offense against general practitioners, but they haven't specialized in gastroenterology. You mention a "consultant," and I wonder if that was a gastroenterologist? If that person is, why did he/she not take you on as a patient? If that person's only job is to perform tests, then I would seek out a GI. Now that you have a diagnosis, then find a GI that works well for you. I write that because it might take visiting more than one GI to find the one best suited to your physical/digestive needs. Does that make sense? But maybe where you live specialists aren't plentiful? Did the GP or "consultant" put you on any medication? If not, then I can't stress the importance and value of finding someone specialized in the field of digestive issues and the gastrointestinal tract. I hope this helps. And this is merely what I would do. Someone else might offer a better approach. I wish you the best in finding the right medical help.

    Traci, UC-IBD Team Member

    1. thank you for replying. Sorry, the “consultant” I was referring to is a Gastroenterologist. I was referred to him under a 2 week bowel cancer scheme as my GP suspected bowel cancer. He organised the sigmoidoscopy although didnt perform it himself. The performing gastroenterologist gave me the diagnosis of UC and Proctitis and was supposed to send a report back to the original guy. It looks like that never happened so all he had to go on was non-cancerous biopsies - which is a good thing, but doesnt help me in taking forward the UC diagnosis. Ive spoken with his secretary today and she is going to get him to investigate, hes clearly not had the report from the procedure or has missed it. Hopefully I will get further correspondence from him soon with follow up appointments and a treament plan

  2. I too am sorry for all the problems you’re having. You definitely need to be under the care of a gastroenterologist. Please be persistent in getting seen by one on a regular basis.
    I’ve had UC for 29 years, had more colonoscopies than I can remember.

    Please read our rules before posting.