caret icon Back to all discussions

Opinion: When is it time to change biologics?

Just reaching out for some opinions and varied perspectives - I am not pleased with the current biologic I am on. I no longer think it is beneficial as my symptoms are so active and a recent colonoscopy/blood work showed elevated inflammation levels. My GI and I are due to speak again this week, and I know he is hesitant to switch my meds again and have my inflammation get much worse. I am not sure if I should hold my ground and push to try another biologic or continue with this one and see what happens? Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar spot and what paths others have taken?

  1. Is it possible to increase the frequency of the one you are currently on?

    Personally, if my quality of life was being reduced because of an increase in symptoms, I would want something done about it. Whether that be an additional med with the biologic, increased frequency of it, or swapping... Definitely state your views and hopefully your GI will be understanding about your concerns.

    Good luck!

    - Sahara (team member)

    1. Thank you Sahara. I will certainly bring up the different options with my GI and hopefully some changes can be made soon.

    2. Fingers crossed for you !

      Don't be afraid to push for whatever you think you need. You know your body better than anyone else.

      - Sahara (team member)

  2. Hey - what did you decide in the end and what biologic are you currently on?

    I was on Infliximab for 10 years before having my 3rd surgery at the end of last year...about to have an appointment to discuss biologic options again, minefield isn't it!


    1. Thank you! I was able to begin Stelara in November and have had the initial infusion dose as well as two injections now. I do experience side effects but so far, I have seen a decrease in my symptoms especially joint pain, so I am hoping that continues!

    2. This is so great to hear! I hope you continue to improve. Keep us posted. Big hugs, Elizabeth (team member)

  3. just following up to see if you made a decision to change biologics! I just switched back to Entvyio from Stelara (was on Entvyio 4 years ago briefly) and one thing that my GI suggested was to take Entocort while revving up on the Entvyio just to make sure I don't flare (I just had inflammation and ulcers but no symptoms to this point). Interested in hearing what you decided and how you are doing!


    --Julie (Team Member)


    1. Hi Julie,
      Thank you for asking. I was able to begin Stelara and have had the initial infusion and two injections. Although I do have side effects after treatment so far, I have been seeing a decrease in my symptoms which is good!

    or create an account to reply.