Fish and Potato Tomato Stew
I'm back with another simple recipe this week. This time it's fish and potato tomato stew. This combines two of my flare-friendly ingredients: white fish (low fat and high in protein) and potatoes (low fibre and soothing on my belly). Add some tomato, spices, and herbs and you've got yourself a simple fish and potato stew which is easy to prep and just throw in the oven.
This stew is naturally gluten and dairy-free and is also perfect for those on the low-residue diet. The quantities below serve 4, so just half or quarter accordingly if making for 2 or 1!
Fish and potato tomato stew: ingredients
- 4 pieces of fresh boneless white fish pieces, such as cod (if frozen defrost first)
- 4 medium-sized potatoes (or 2 sweet potatoes and 2 regular potatoes, if you prefer)
- 400g of chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of basil
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons of all-purpose seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
Fish and potato tomato stew: method
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small pieces. Parboil on the hob (stovetop) until they begin to soften – this should take around 20 minutes and they don't need to be completely cooked, as they will also cook in the oven.
- Grease a casserole dish with a smear of olive/butter so it doesn't stick.
- Cut the fish pieces into chunks and layer them over the casserole dish.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, mix with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and coat. Then pour into the casserole dish.
- Pour over the chopped tomatoes, stir, and coat the potatoes and fish well.
- Peel and mince/finely chop the garlic cloves and sprinkle over the chopped tomatoes.
- Stir in basil, turmeric, all-purpose seasoning, and paprika. Mix well and cover evenly over the tomato base.
- Mix the mixture again until the potatoes and fish are well-covered by herbs, spices, and tomatoes.
- Cook in the oven at 400F/200C for 20 minutes.
- Check that the fish is well-cooked and the potatoes are softened. Then serve!
This dish works well with gluten-free crusty bread if you have some!
- calories: 313
- carbohydrate: 38.9g
- cholesterol: 80mg
- dietary fiber: 6.8g
- protein: 23.7g
- saturated fat: 1.3g
- sodium: 319mg
- sugars: 5.2g
- total fat: 7.8g
Disclaimer: InflammatoryBowelDisease.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you have a diagnosis story to share?