Gluten-Free and Vegan Heavenly Cupcakes
I don't know about you, but when I am in a Crohn's flare or recovering from one, all I crave are sweets. Perhaps it is my brain going into survival mode because I cannot eat super fibrous vegetables, but regardless of the reason, I want desserts and only desserts! The problem is, refined sugar is inflammatory and causes more stomach aches and discomfort than I originally felt. So, I had to find a way to satisfy my sweet tooth without causing more GI distress.
Also, many people with IBD have found that a gluten-free and/or vegan diet has been helpful in managing symptoms. (I, personally, have been gluten-free for 6 years and it has greatly improved my quality of life.) I wanted to share a recipe that offers patients gluten-free and vegan options while being extremely tasty and satisfying and does not contain refined sugar. Enjoy a small taste of deliciousness without the guilt with these Heavenly Cupcakes!
Makes 24 cupcakes
Ingredients for gluten-free and vegan heavenly cupcakes recipe
- 3 cups of cassava flour
- 2 cups of coconut sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup avocado oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups of cold water
Directions for gluten-free and vegan heavenly cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
- Make three wells and pour oil in one, apple cider vinegar in another, and vanilla extract in third.
- Pour cold water over entire bowl and mix well with a fork. (Batter will be quite thick)
- Spoon 2 Tbsp. of batter into each cupcake mold.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Optional: frost with your favorite icing (pictured: vegan vanilla icing) or leave plain.
- calories: 77
- cholesterol: 0mg
- dietary fiber: 1.2g
- potassium: 65mg
- protein: 0.6g
- saturated fat: 0.4g
- sodium: 203mg
- total fat: 1.3g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you visited our new and improved Forums page?