Gluten-Free and Vegan Heavenly Cupcakes
I don't know about you, but when I am in a Crohn's flare or recovering from one, all I crave are sweets. Perhaps it is my brain going into survival mode because I cannot eat super fibrous vegetables, but regardless of the reason, I want desserts and only desserts! The problem is, refined sugar is inflammatory and causes more stomach aches and discomfort than I originally felt. So, I had to find a way to satisfy my sweet tooth without causing more GI distress.
Also, many people with IBD have found that a gluten-free and/or vegan diet has been helpful in managing symptoms. (I, personally, have been gluten-free for 6 years and it has greatly improved my quality of life.) I wanted to share a recipe that offers patients gluten-free and vegan options while being extremely tasty and satisfying and does not contain refined sugar. Enjoy a small taste of deliciousness without the guilt with these Heavenly Cupcakes!
Makes 24 cupcakes
Ingredients for gluten-free and vegan heavenly cupcakes recipe
- 3 cups of cassava flour
- 2 cups of coconut sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup avocado oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups of cold water
Directions for gluten-free and vegan heavenly cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
- Make three wells and pour oil in one, apple cider vinegar in another, and vanilla extract in third.
- Pour cold water over entire bowl and mix well with a fork. (Batter will be quite thick)
- Spoon 2 Tbsp. of batter into each cupcake mold.
- Bake 15-18 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Optional: frost with your favorite icing (pictured: vegan vanilla icing) or leave plain.
- calories: 77
- cholesterol: 0mg
- dietary fiber: 1.2g
- potassium: 65mg
- protein: 0.6g
- saturated fat: 0.4g
- sodium: 203mg
- total fat: 1.3g
Disclaimer: InflammatoryBowelDisease.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Will you take our In America survey to help others understand the true impact of Crohn's and UC?