Low-Residue Rice Krispies Chicken Goujons
Today's recipe is actually one that I originally made for my toddler. Chicken nuggets are a firm hit in our household. It's one of the few meals he'll eat time and time again and I can usually eat them too if they're gluten-free! Given we were eating quite a few store-bought nuggets, I decided to find a recipe for a homemade version instead. But I needed one that was really simple to make, low in fiber, but still passed the crunch test. Introducing my low-residue Rice Krispies chicken goujons!
This recipe uses just a handful of ingredients: Rice Krispies (either the regular kind or gluten-free equivalents), dairy-free milk, and sliced chicken fillets. The result is a crispy, crunchy goujon that passed the toddler test and is much lower in fat than the regular nuggets, meaning it's perfect for those on the low-residue diet too!
Ingredients for low-residue Rice Krispies chicken goujons
- 2 chicken fillets (or, even easier, a pack of sliced mini chicken fillets)
- 50g of Rice Krispies
- 100mls of dairy-free milk or 1 egg
Directions for low-residue Rice Krispies chicken goujons
- If using regular chicken fillets, slice into goujon-style strips. If using pre-sliced chicken fillets then use these as they are.
- Put Rice Krispies into a sandwich bag and crush them using a rolling pin or anything (a plastic bowl works too). Alternatively, you can use a blender to blend into a thin flour but I personally prefer them just crushed as they are a bit more crispy. Once crushed, transfer onto a plate.
- Pour dairy-free milk into a bowl. If you're not egg-free, you can use an egg instead so break the egg and pour it into the bowl. The dairy-free milk/egg will act as the "sticker" to help the fillets stick to the coating.
- Dip each sliced fillet into milk/egg mixture and cover well.
- Then coat each fillet into the Rice Krispies crumb, making sure it is well-coated and covered evenly.
- Place chicken fillets onto a baking tray and cook for 20 minutes until cooked through (if using dairy-free milk rather than egg, then the goujons may not have a completely golden crumb so use a fork to check the meat is white and cooked).
- These can also be frozen either after or before cooking.
- calories: 260
- fiber: 0.4g
- protein: 28.9g
- saturated fat: 2.2g
- total fat: 7.8g
Disclaimer: InflammatoryBowelDisease.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Let’s Talk FOOD! Will you be joining us for our Instagram LIVE series?