Quinoa is a great source of protein that is more easily digested than animal protein. It is also super easy to make and can be added to soups, salads, or eaten alone as a side. Keeping quinoa in my pantry (or freezer if it is the steam-in-bag kind) is essential since I can whip it up whenever I want a protein-packed whole grain that satisfies my carb cravings yet offers the protein I need in my diet.
This quinoa bowl is perfect for lunch or dinner and if you make the quinoa ahead of time, you can put it together in a few minutes and have a delicious, healthy, and satisfying meal.
Note: If you cannot tolerate quinoa, feel free to sub with brown or white rice.
Makes 2 servings
Quinoa bowl ingredients:
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package
- 2 Tbsp. Rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil (divided)
- Salt and pepper (according to taste)
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp. sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 2 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Oregano for garnishing
- Optional: Lean protein of your choice
Directions to make the quinoa bowl:
- In a small bowl, mix cooked quinoa with rice vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread quinoa on the bottom of your serving bowl and arrange avocado, tomatoes, and cucumber, feta, and parsley on top of the quinoa.
- Sprinkle with oregano and an extra drizzle of olive oil.
- calories: 310
- cholesterol: 8mg
- dietary fiber: 5.1g
- potassium: 454mg
- protein: 8.2g
- saturated fat: 3.8g
- sodium: 112mg
- total fat: 16.6g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Do you keep a food diary to help manage symptoms?