Stuffed Baked Apples
This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. I discovered it just before Thanksgiving a few years ago, and it was a complete hit with my family, and much easier for me to digest with Crohn's! It contains less processed sugar and refined carbs than traditional apple pie, and if you cannot tolerate fresh fruit, baking apples is easier on the GI tract, especially if you peel the apples before cooking. Feel free to make these without the filling for a healthier, lighter option, too!
Ingredients for stuffed baked apples:
- 6 large apples
- 1/3 cup dry gluten-free oats
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (eliminate if you cannot tolerate)
- 2 Tbsp. butter (or margarine/Earth Balance for vegan option)
- Dash of coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider
Directions to make stuffed baked apples:
- In a small bowl, combine oats, cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almonds, butter, and sea salt. Set aside.
- Cut off the top of apples and scoop out the insides, making sure to remove all seeds-- about 1/4 inch deep.
- Peel away some of the skin at the top to prevent splitting. Optional: peel the skins off the apples entirely for easier digestion.
- Fill each apple with 1-2 Tbsp. of the mixture.
- Pour apple juice/cider in the bottom of a slow cooker and place the apples evenly across.
- Cook in the slow cooker on High for 2- 2 1/2 hours.
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated.
Note: You can make these ahead of time and keep them refrigerated until ready to eat. Just heat them in the microwave for 30-40 seconds to heat up.
- calories: 262
- cholesterol: 10mg
- dietary fiber: 6.4g
- potassium: 354mg
- protein: 1.9g
- saturated fat: 2.6g
- sodium: 33mg
- total fat: 6.5g
Disclaimer: Everyone with inflammatory bowel disease is different. We recognize that some ingredients listed in this recipe may be a trigger food for some people. Please feel free to omit or substitute any ingredients that don’t work for you.
Have you visited our new and improved Forums page?