Chicken and Rice
Chicken and rice are my 2 go-to foods when having an upset stomach.
And adding more protein to my diet is always a priority, since having Crohn's disease causes my protein levels to always come back as the "lower end of normal" after having blood drawn, so I know that I am always in danger of having it slip into the "deficient" zone.
This recipe is one of my favorites to make because it never upsets my stomach and the leftovers are amazing!
I prefer to add broccoli to mine, but you can swap it for some peas. (I find it needs a little green.) Or completely omit the veggies if you need to keep a low-residue diet. Also, feel free to substitute white rice for the brown rice if you cannot tolerate it.
Chicken and rice ingredients:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 lbs. boneless chicken thighs (with skin)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup short-grain brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh broccoli florets (or 1 cup of frozen peas)
- 2 limes quartered, for serving
Directions for chicken and rice:
- Put the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, skin side down, when the skillet is hot.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and cook undisturbed for 5-10 minutes. Rotate chicken every few minutes to brown them evenly. Remove chicken from the pan after cooking for another 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium and spoon off most of the oil until only 2 tablespoons remain.
- Add onion to the pan and cook, stirring frequently until they soften, for 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and rice, cook until the rice is glossy and coated with oil.
- Return chicken to the pan, add broth, and stir gently to combine everything. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover the skillet and cook for 20 minutes. (Note: The goal is to have all liquid absorbed in the mixture.)
- Remove the skillet from heat and add broccoli (or peas). Cover the skillet and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately and sprinkle lime juice over chicken and rice.
- calories: 203
- cholesterol: 10mg
- dietary fiber: 2.7g
- potassium: 191mg
- protein: 5g
- saturated fat: 1.7g
- sodium: 16mg
- total fat: 9.6g
Disclaimer: InflammatoryBowelDisease.net does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Will you tell us what life with IBD is really like by taking our In America survey?
Join the conversation